Tuesday 31 December 2013

31.12.13

We had a tree down in he drive way on Christmas Eve, it was a manic morning trying to get the horses out and feed supplies in! I had planned to take Mr Big out with the Old Berks for the jockeys meet so I had a last minute panic to get a lift as I couldn't get the horse box down the drive. After making our way through all the floods I arrived for the meet just in time. The ground was very water logged, which made the hedges very big. With a field of over 100 there were loose horses everywhere but Mr Big was on a going day and jumped very well, he got through the ground like and old pro, I think we were one of the 20% of the hedge jumping field that didn't take a tumble!

On Christmas Day we rode out the horses that were due to run in the coming days, even the secretary came in for first lot. I won a lovely bottle od Vintage Dom Perignon courtesy of my bet with Simon Beccle and Nicky Henderson winning the trainers championship so we opened that.

Boxing Day started fairly badly as our three box wouldn't start at 5am in the morning to go to Market Rasen, then the two box that went in its place also broke down. With a lot of reorganising  we managed to get two horses to Market Rasen and one to Wincanton in time.

Airmens Friend ran his race but he hated the ground and finished third. Shockingtimes didn't jump a fence but managed to finish second. He came back very sore in his back the next day. While at Wincanton Lord of House jumped really well and won his first h'cap chase quite nicely.

On Friday we went to Kempton where Seventh Sky ran tamely, we have since done a wind operation on him as he is not getting home.

On Saturday we worked horses on the grass, Verano, Latelo and the Trans Island gelding all worked really well. We had no runners so I lit the fire and watched the racing. On Sunday we ran Elmore Back at Doncaster, he ran a blinder to finish second to Oscar Hoof a good horse of Nicky Hendersons. We should be able to place him to win his next race.

On Monday I rode two lots out and got soaked to the bone, after I had dried off I went racing to Haydock with Tony Stapleton. I stupidly ran Sands Cove over 2m 4f on heavy ground, he did not get home. His poor run was totally down to trainer error.

We run Lord of House today as I rode him out yesterday and he was extremely fresh and he will love the ground. If he gets beaten today then I have run him to soon.

And then tomorrow will be 2014! Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment