Saturday 26 April 2014

26.04.14

On Wednesday afternoon I took Jerry my cat to the vets at Faringdon to get his hair cut! Bearing in mind my hair costs me £10 a cut in Lambourn I was a little miffed when it cost me £200 for Jerry's, I think it would have been cheaper going to Toni & Guy! (Although he did try and kill the nurse and had to be sedated!)

On Thursday morning we schooled 8 horses on the summer schooling ground that belongs to Cath Walwyn. They all jumped well with Elmore Back and Portmonarch being very quick over the hurdles and Seventh Sky jumped a fence for the first time, he really did go well so hopefully that is the making of him.

After schooling we had a  routine Jockey Club inspection which is our first since being at Neardown, I think he was impressed by the facilities and everything seemed in order. I then went down for lunch with Sue Welch and had a look at her young stock, she had a lovely foal that I liked.

Yesterday I went to the Brightwells Cheltenham Sale, there were a lot of Irish p2p winners and horses with form. I nearly bought one but quite honestly I thought the prices were crazy. The top lot went for £300,000 and the average was £86,000. I think at this sale the only way to go is to be selling not buying as there is no value there. Hopefully DBS in May will be more fruitful as I do need some new horses. Who Owns Me ran at Chepstow in the evening but I think the races at Wetherby and Newbury had taken a toll on him as he never got into the race.  He is a lovely little horse and deserves a holiday now.

We worked most of the horses this morning and as the season finishes today I am looking forward to running some nice novices next week that we have been waiting with so not to ruin their novice status for the 2014-2015 season. Elmore Back worked very well and Victor Leudorum has improved in fitness two fold. Verano has now done two pieces of work since his wind op so is almost ready and Almost Gemini worked very well up the bank which I think suits him better as its not as quick as back of the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment