Wednesday 9 April 2014

09.04.14

I went to Taunton on Thursday where I ran Almost Gemini however it wasn't to be as I managed to run him on the wrong racecourse over the wrong distance which meant he only finished 3rd. He needs a galloping track over at least 2m 6f.

Later that evening I had a dinner party for 12 people to celebrate my birthday, it is hard getting older but luckily I am still in great shape! Avery Ffrench Davis cooked some fabulous curries which went down very well and helped soak up some of the alcohol consumed!

On Friday morning Richard Curry came in to watch his horse Victor Leudorum on the gallops, Victor is looking great now we have had him in as he does worry out in the field. He has a full summer coat and is still bucking like mad. It was then a bit of a mad rush to get in the car and leave for Liverpool where I had Plum Stone running in the mares bumper. Unfortunately it was not to be as she did not run half as well as we had all hoped, she travelled very well but for some reason turning in for home she stopped very quickly. We are investigating into the reason for her poor performance and hopefully something will come to light.

I stayed up in Liverpool to watch the Grand National on Saturday and as usual it was a very exciting race. For the past couple of years I have sat in on meetings with the Aintree hierarchy for discussions on improving the race, from this developed a panel that looked into horses recent performances with a view to make a decision on whether they should be allowed to take part. I don't understand for the life of me why they let Battle Group line up as he has refused to jump off before and as we know the start is a very important part of the race and apart from that he is keeping one more horse out of the race that could have actually taken part. I think this problem could have been avoided. As for the winner he was a shrewd purchase by Dr Richard Newland from Barry Connell for only £6,000, he had won the Ulster National and was thought to high in the h'cap in Ireland to be placed over there.

On Monday morning all the horses were very fresh which seemed to carry on through to Tuesday as Elmore Back almost bucked me off on Monday and Shockingtimes ran away with me on Tuesday! Shockingtimes  breezed well this morning so I have declared him to run at Ludlow tomorrow. I have dropped him back in trip so that there might be a bit more pace in the race which should suit him.

Victor Leudorum and Western King did there first bit of work this morning  and I am very impressed with Western King who went like a bull and seems much improved. Area Access flew up the gallops in his bit of work, I hope he still has more improvement in him. Elmore Back did a faster piece of work very easily  and seems to be taking his work well. This week we have also started turning some of the horses out in the small paddocks around the house, it is great watching them get down and have a good roll and a taster of the spring grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment