Monday 29 September 2014

In Limbo

Our new assistant/head lad 'Foxy' started work last Monday, he has come from Nigel Twiston-Davies. We are getting on very well and I am sure he will be a huge asset to the yard.
 
Monday Club lunch was in the Hare last week due to the Malt Shovels closure, I think that until it re opens we will be doing a bit of a pub tour for the next month or so. I left lunch early to go and pick up Katya's engagement ring, it was toss up between the purchase of the engagement ring and a new bathroom suite. Suffice to say there was no contest!
 
Lambro left for Perth on Tuesday morning as he had to complete a 3m chase to qualify for the Pardubice, I booked Brian Harding to ride him on the condition he rode him in the Pardubice. All he had to do was get round and finish. He dropped him in last and never got competitive, he pulled him up before the last fence. This means as we stand right now he is not qualified for the race. Lambro did not blow for long and the vet gave him the okay and noted that he had hardly had a race. I can't for the life of me figure out why he pulled him up when he did. It now means we have to run Lambro at Warwick on ground that is most likely to quick for him in order to qualify. It is not ideal as he will have to leave Lambourn on Sunday to travel out for the race the following Sunday. However after seeing him school round the Cross Country course at Lyneham yesterday it should all be worth it as he seems to be an absolute natural and a perfect type for the Pardubice.




On Thursday I did something I haven't done for  a very long time.....I schooled Mr Big over 9 fences (video already up on the previous post) I have to say I really enjoyed it. I later went to watch my daughter Tildie play hockey at St Edwards in Oxford, she played really well and her team won 4-1. Victoria my sister had come down from Scotland to stay for a few days and made it just in time to join us for a lovely family supper.
 
On Friday it was another day for things I have not done fore a while, I rode out 2 lots then drove Almost Gemini to the races! We have got no one eligible to drive our big box at the moment, it is becoming a bit of a bore with all the qualifications needed to drive these boxes. I am looking forward to our new 2 boxes arriving. Almost Gemini finish third on his Novice Chasing debut. He jumped very well, on the back of this he will go to the sales in November and should appeal to those wanting a nice Pointer this season.
 
My new parents in law came round for a lovely lunch on Saturday, we had a very nice afternoon watching the Ryder Cup and the Racing. We have now got the painters in inside and out and builders everywhere, I have to keep retiring to my office after lunch to get some peace and quiet!
 
I rode Plum Stone this morning, she is defiantly one of the more forward ones.  She has  been doing some jumping in the ring in preparation for her first run over hurdles. I hope to get her on the course at the end of October. I have been riding Cedre Bleu a lot recently, I am trying to keep him fresh by changing his routine every day using different gallops. Most of the horses have now done two little bits of work. Nimbus Gale has really been impressing me , he seemed very green when he first arrived but this does not come through in his work where he is very straight.
 
Bridal Suite is going well at home, Lawrie has been riding him and thinks he is very game. The other new horse Miller of Glanmire has been going about his routine well and is now really using himself having been ridden out recently in a bungee which has been lowering his head helping him work more from behind. Both did good bits of work on Saturday.
 
All the horses coats are still gleaming and bar a few that are starting to look as though their coats are just starting to come we might get away with not having to clip any for a little while yet. We still have more arrivals coming in, this week Area Access's half sister arrived from their breeder Heather Silk. She is by Milan and has a striking resemblance to him. She is small but if she has the attitude that he does then she could do well. The three young store horses that we bought are now just starting to grow up. They are going about their business well although Run To the Rhythm can still put in some rather hairy bucks! I think the 'Beat All' is the most forward at this time.
 
We now seem a bit in limbo with the summer jumpers slowing down and the main string not quite ready yet so I am getting rather itchy feet. But at least jump racing is back on Channel Four which means the season proper is imminent at least!


No comments:

Post a Comment