Friday 29 November 2013

29.11.13

I went to an NTF meeting at Newbury racecourse on Tuesday as I am a member of the council. The usual topics came up, mainly prize money!

Mark Grant and Peterjon Carberry came in on Wednesday morning to ride work. Mark rode Elmore Back and was very happy with him so I declared him for Taunton. Seventh Sky worked really well but needed it. The new horses are all cantering away now; Dragon City, Portmonarch, Verano, Sureness and Almost Gemini, I have to say they are a nice bunch of young horses. They have some size about them and look as though they will all do a job. Later that evening Nicky Henderson very kindly gave me a lift to another meeting, this time for the local jump trainers held by Aintree racecourse. They wined and dined us while we discussed health and safety issues. There was a good turn out and much frivolity! We were all quite amused when we left the restaurant as Jonjo O'Neill's wife Jackie was waiting in the car in the car park acting as his chauffeur for the evening. I wish my wife had waited for me like that!

We schooled 4 horses on Thursday. Verano had his first proper school over hurdles and was brilliant, Noel Fehily really liked him. We let Ben Ffrench-Davies school Mr Big over the National fences - he nearly fell off at the second fence, hopefully he will learn to let his irons down! Especially as this morning he got dropped when one whipped round!

We ran two horses at Taunton on Thursday, Elmore Back ran a blinder in his first novice hurdle. He finished 3rd to The Skyfarmer which is fairly decent horse of Philip Hobbs. Airmen's Friend came fourth on his first start for about 500 days. It was a promising run from him. Mark Grant then gave me a lift back to Membury services where I met Iffy with my car and he drove me to the Savoy Hotel in London for a Charity Dinner for young sports men and women, I didn't get home till 2.30am! But I can safely say there is more of a chance of selling a horse in the Savoy than sitting at home.

I rode Portmonarch this morning, I thought he was a lovely horse despite his feet not touching the ground till after the first canter! Low Gales ran today at Doncaster, although I knew he would need it he ran a really good race to plug on and get 4th, he will come on no end for it.

I have a full house for breakfast tomorrow before everyone heads off to Newbury for the Hennessy, I am sure I will get asked by all who I think will win! Highland Lodge would be the one I fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment