Monday 23 November 2015

A busy few days....

We schooled two lots on Thursday; Gavin Sheehan was in to help. Everything jumped well and we were all happy.

On Friday I did something that I haven't done before; I sadly went to two funerals on the same day. I went to Uffington for Michael Hinchcliffe's funeral, who was an ex trainer and racehorse transporter. I then popped into my house to watch My Anchor run a very nice race at Ascot, to finish 4th. He should get a handicap mark and we will be able to place him to win something off that run. I then went to Savernake Forest for Joan Buckingham's funeral, who was John Hills' mother in law. Will Stuart then came to stay the night.

We had a lot of jockeys in on Saturday morning, including Denis O'Regan, Mark Grant. We had 6 red letter days and they all seemed to enjoy themselves. I took Will racing to Ascot, where we had two runners; Ephraim & Seventh Sky. Ephraim ran a really nice race in finishing 3rd, but I wish he had been ridden a lot handier than he was, as he won his Group 3 on the flat making all the running. We had lunch with David Fox, George Bromfield and his father. David was happy enough with the run. Ascot do a very good job, by giving you a very good lunch and as much wine as you can drink. I think more racecourses should follow suit! We then ran Seventh Sky in a very hot race and we were only really there to pick up some prize money. He was a fast finishing 4th and was unlucky not to get 3rd. It is frustrating having to run him in these big races to nick prize money, but there are literally no other races for him off his handicap mark. He is still in The Hennessy, but he will probably go to Aintree next. There was some good racing elsewhere and I thought Cue Card was very impressive.

I was driven down to Exeter on Sunday by Paul Mott in his very smart Porsche. I do think it is a question of time before he starts getting some speeding points, especially as his car stands out! We watched Airpur Desbois, who we thought was going to bolt up on the bend, but he just did not get home in the ground and ended up finishing 4th. He is a little bit weak, but is a very honest horse and he will win his races. We got back in record time and the horse is fine today.

We were meant to have two runners at Ludlow today, but I have taken Baltic Storm out of the first race at Ludlow today as it will ride like dead ground and won't suit. We will let To Begin take his chance as he might be able to handle the ground that bit better.

We had a good frost last night and it was very cold this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment