Tuesday 6 January 2015

Superb Story sets the standard for the year

On Wednesday my daughter Tildie got out of bed early to do a work experience day with me. It was good fun and nice to have her around. She did a lot of work with Rose in the office and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. She was great help.
 
We decided at the last minute to declare Superb Story at Musselburgh, we wanted some half decent ground for him as we knew he would not like it too soft. It meant that Iffy left straight after declarations to take him up the night before and enjoy seeing in the New Year in Scotland! As racing was off and I was at a loose end I was taken food shopping with Katya to Waitrose, it certainly was an experience which I hope I don't have to go through again!
 
We had a very good New Years evening at home with John Francome, the McEwen's, Rodney Powell and Alex, the Bowlby's, Evelyn Faber, and Riddles and we had a very fun evening.
 
On New Years day we had a fairly busy morning and Superb Story was running in the first race at Musselburgh. I was expecting him to finish in the first four but I was very pleasantly surprised when he won quite impressively. He jumped really well, seemed to enjoy himself and was given a good ride by Richie McLernon. I hope we may have a decent horse on our hands as he still has plenty of improvement. We then had a very impromptu lunch with fifteen people! I have to say I have had worse starts to the new year than this!
 
Friday was fairly quiet but all back to normal on the yard. Mark Hitchcroft had come to stay over night to see his horses in the morning. He bought his daughter with him who had her first taste of racehorses and had an excellent time.




Paul Mott came to stay on Friday night to see his beloved Sureness who is now back in work. We went up the gallops on Saturday morning to see Bridal Suite work well with Nimbus Gale. Portmonarch led Expedite and Run To The Rhythm up back of the hill gallop in a bit of work, I was very impressed with the baby horses going so well with Portmonarch who is a good consistent work horse. Gowanauthat and Attimo worked well together on the bank.
 
I drove to Wincanton to watch Champagne N Caviar run in appalling conditions. I thought Harry Bannister gave him a nice ride, he jumped okay (which was better than before!)and he finished fifth, I think he is capable of winning a small contest now his mark has dropped to 108.
 
We had a family day on Sunday with all the children and had a very nice lunch without any guests!
 
On Monday I made a big mistake by running two horses at Lingfield on virtually un-raceable ground. Nimbus Gale was never going on it and finished sixth which should now get him a mark. Sands Cove just didn't finish his race and Noel had to pull him up. He was very consistent last year but seems to have lost his way this year. Nothing seems untoward this morning but we will do some further investigation. It wasn't a very good start to the week, however you have to be so careful running horses in ground as bad as this.
 
 We have entries this week at Catterick, Kempton and Warwick. Cody Wyoming may well go up to Catterick again and Libeccio hasn't taken his chance at Ludlow tomorrow as I think the Kempton race may cut up form him.
 
This week Lord of House, Plum Stone, Always Smiling, Sureness and Western King are all back in work, it will be nice to get them back on the race track soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment