Tuesday 23 December 2014

Hunting On....

On Wednesday I was picked up by Michael Bowlby and Simon Marsh to go down to Dorset for a days hunting with the Portman. Michael Bowlby has been Senior Master with the Old Berks and was wearing his pink coat, Simon was very well mounted and I was on Katya's horse JP. We got to the first hedge and rail where Bowlby's horse refused much to our amusement, then we jumped a large wire fence on to a road and Marsh's horse jumped big and left while he went right and ended up in the ditch. By this time I was in hysterics and was looking forward to the drive home with the two of them as my horse was jumping brilliantly and the day was continuing to go well for me. At one of the last covers we were in a wood when JP suddenly decided to take off with me, when a horse runs a way with you with you in a wood the one thing you do know is that with the law of averages you are highly likely to hit a tree. I ended up on the floor lying there feeling that I was dead, fortunately someone caught the horse and I got to my feet and back on board, I even had to jump a fence out of the wood we were in. We then went back tot he horse box for the most delicious tea from our hosts. During the two and  half hour journey back I stiffened up so much I could barely walk to my front door.
 
On Thursday morning I couldn't even get out of bed let alone go to the yard or the office. I was on a lot of pain killers and black and blue from my foot to my shoulder on one side. Unlike AP I don't bounce as well as I used to. I managed to get out and about on Friday and watched two lots before heading to Ascot even though I was very stiff. We ran Bridal Suite in the first, he ran okay and will be better for a handicap mark.
 
I watched them work on Saturday morning, Superb Story went the best yet, he is improving every day. The young Brian Boru worked in the middle of two horses and is learning how to gallop. He is now a big horse and I like him very much. My secretary got run away with on the walking track down to the gallops so came up by herself rather red in the face!
 
I had a days shooting in Lambourn on Saturday with Charlie Nugent. I hobbled around the best I could but I was still rather sore which was a good excuse for my shooting!
 
On Sunday I went to Lingfield with Foxy. Portmonarch ran a fairly lifeless race to finish fourth after stopping three out. We ran a very nice bumper horse called Murray Mount in the all weather bumper, he ran a nice race to finish second after AP just got the run on us turning for home.
 
I watched two lots on Monday and took the kids Christmas shopping in Newbury. We had the lads and builders Christmas drinks in the house later that evening. Katya did a great job preparing some lovely nibbles and every one had a jolly time.
 
We did the declarations for Boxing Day this morning. Cedre Bleu runs at Wetherby with Sam Waley-Cohen up again. Sands Cove goes to Market Rasen, he has been dropped a class and is top weight in the handicap chase so our conditional Tommy Dowling will ride to take ten pounds off. Libeccio runs at Fontwell in the Juvenile hurdle with Gavin Sheehan, it is very soft there and over an extended 2 miles we will have to see if he gets the trip but he will be ridden more handy than his first run.  Looking ahead at the weekend we might have a couple at Chepstow on Saturday then Cody Wyoming at Catterick on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment