Monday 8 December 2014

Giants Big Jer and Cedre Bleu impress

I went racing to Ludlow with Tony Stapleton and Barney Windsor-Clive on Wednesday to watch Sands Cove run. Barneys family not only own the course but they also have about 8,000 acres surrounding it so we had lunch in the Ludlow food centre and then had a tour around the estate. Sands Cove ran in the 2 mile chase, quite honestly he didn't run as badly as we first thought, the ground was on the quick side and the distance to short but it was great to see his jumping back to its best.
 
Gavin Sheehan and Mark Grant came in to school some horses on Thursday morning. Cedre Bleu schooled over the practice national fences and was very good. The juvenile horses also jumped the big hurdles and have improved enormously.
 
On Thursday I met up with Jill Mayo and went to Leicester to watch Big Jer in his first novice chase. We weren't expecting to much from him as he hasn't run for almost two years. He jumped very well and under a lovely ride from Jason Maguire he managed to win by 2 lengths. A lot of credit for his win must go to Vasyl who has been riding him out every day. He is a massive horse who is only now looking as though he fills his frame, hopefully he will continue to improve with age.
 
 
 
 
Champagne N Caviar ran at Wincanton, I was hoping with the extra schooling we have done that his jumping would have improved but he still managed to demolish every fence dropping him back in the order to 6th.
 
We ran Lambro at Sandown on Friday, he pulled up as he bled quite badly. It is a concern but I hoping we can find away round it. I really like the little horse and I think we could still have some fun with him. He will have a little break and give him some time to get over his races and go from there.
 
On Saturday I was very lucky to get a lift up to Aintree with my jockeys parents in law! Bertie and Serena Ballin are Sam Waley-Cohens parents in law and live locally to me in Upper Lambourn at the foot of the gallops. I took a friend of mine down to the chair for the Beecher Chase as it is always the most exciting place to be as you can get very close to the action. We had Cedre Bleu running in the Grand Sefton so again I took his owners down to the chair for the race, I have never seen a horse stand so far off the fence and clear it by so far! He went round the rest of the course as though it was hurdle track! Sam gave him a beautiful ride, if you had thrown the kitchen sink at him after the last he wasn't going to go any faster. He was a very good second, I wish there was a race over the fences every day of the year as I haven't seen a horse jump as well as him. He will head back to Aintree in April for either the Topham or the Grand National itself, Sam will most likely keep the ride although I would be very tempted to get my license back out to ride him!
 
Bridal Suite also ran on Saturday at Chepstow, he looked a little one paced and couldn't quite go with the leaders but he should get a handicap mark tomorrow and we will go from there.
 
We are sending Native Explorer to Uttoxeter tomorrow for her first hurdle race. She is a natural jumper but will have to handle the ground. I expect we will have a busy day on Thursday at Warwick and Taunton, where amongst the runners I hope to have Attimo and Nimbus Gale having their second outings.

No comments:

Post a Comment