Tuesday 25 November 2014

The hunt is on

On Wednesday Superb Story arrived from France. He is  a nice looking horse with a strong head. He has decent form on the flat so we will get him schooled and see what he can do over hurdles.
 
We went to Warwick with Attimo for his first novice chase on Wednesday. It was a very hot race won by Ptit Zig, he jumped very well but wants a slightly further trip than 2m. Noel liked him and after he stayed on his handicap mark today he should win a nice race soon.
 
We schooled few horses on Thursday morning, Noel and Gavin were in as usual. We got the two young horses Libeccio and Native Explorer going well over the proper sized hurdles and this time Portmonarch did not cause any trouble! This week I see they have put the Aintree national fences up on the schooling ground so Cedre Bleu will have a pop over these.
 
We ran Bridal Suite at Wincanton on Thursday, surprisingly after all this rain I think the ground was too quick for him, Tommy reported that he did not go as well as his first run and would want it softer. he does seem to cope with racing well so we should be able to get him out whilst we still have the ground for him.
 
I rode out for the first time in a month on Friday, I have to say I quite enjoyed it! I then went racing to Ascot to watch Nimbus Gale run. We were all very pleased with his run, he was a fast finishing sixth in a very hot contest and a cheap buy compared to the other horses a head of him who were all bought for over 80k, one was worth 300k! He will improve for the run and looked as though he should be winning quite soon.
 
We have had a lot of rain on the gallops and at times it is proving difficult to be dry! It is a bit frustrating as I have a couple of horses I would like to start off but I would not want them to go out in heavy ground on their first run.
 
We had no runners on Saturday so I took the chance to go hunting with the Old Berks on Katyas horse JP. He pulled my arms out, I am surprised I wasn't stiffer than I was when I got home! Unfortunately we did not jump much but he was very good over what we did.
 
We had Veranos wind done on Thurdsay, he had a tie forward which should help him enormously. I picked him up on Sunday morning, he will have a bit more time in his box recuperating but I hope it wont take to long to get him back on the track. He is a decent horse and I think a lot of him.
 
On Monday I rode two lots, it was a lovely frosty morning with a clear blue sky. My first lot was the new horse Gowanauthat, the lads had reported that they like him a lot so I was interested to feel for myself. I found him very nice, forward and a good mover with a bit of spark about him.
 
Today we woke up to a frost again but shortly followed by rain, it hasn't been the nicest days but it has been business as usual. Second lot had a spin around the grass 'home' gallop. Nimbus Gale managed to go from last to first pretty quickly so he is none the worst for his run last week! Native Explorer is taking it all in her stride and Portmonarch is moving well and really bouncing. He has a few entries and although he does want some cut in the ground heavy going will not suit so he will run where the ground is the best.
 
Cody Wyoming has entries across the board this weekend, he will run where it cuts up the best. He is on great form at home and will handle this ground.  Seventh Sky has a few options, the Grade Two at Newbury on Saturday could be a small field but he would not be on terms with the Nicholls horse so he might have to go elsewhere.
 
Tomorrow is our work morning so I pair up the horses that are most suited to one another and they will go upsides in pairs at a faster gallop which gets a good blow into them to increase their fitness. Those that ran at the end of last week will only do a half speed but there is still plenty to be getting on with.

No comments:

Post a Comment